Club Homepage
Posted By: Alex Montgomery 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/14/16 02:02 AM
As talked about in another thread - I've made the decision to upgrade to something with 4 seats and better IFR capability. As such, I'll be selling my 150, lovingly nicknamed "The Bluejay." I'd love to keep it within the 150 Club "Family," so I'm offering a $1500 discount for existing club members.

I've taken care of all the "first year woes," for this airplane, my motto with my mechanic has been - let's not save anything for the annual. If it needs replacing or needs work, let's get it done now. All maintenance has been overseen by 2 A&P IAs, and they've been very thorough. Oil has been changed regularly every 4 months or 30-50hrs, serviced with 20W50 and 2oz Camguard per 1qt/oil. The airplane is flown often, 10-15hrs a month, I've had a few months where I flew her for 25hrs.

The past 4 owners have all been private owners, it has not been used as a trainer, and I know the past 2 owners had the airplane hangared. I've always had it hangared, though it's under an open T-hangar right now. Current location is in Houston, TX.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

N1679Q, 1972 Cessna 150L

- AFTT: 6862hrs
- SMOH: 108hrs
- Year: 1972 model, 1971 manufacturing
- Exterior: 9/10 | She's a pretty airplane, the paint gets compliments everywhere I go, 2 people stopped by just to talk about what a pretty plane it was on my flight to Alabama for Thanksgiving!
- Interior 7/10 | Seats are in like-new condition, glass is in excellent shape, new seatbelts, and recently had the yokes refinished.
- Annual Due 02/2017
- Complete logs since new | Thorough records on installed equipment
- No damage history | Plane does have some minor hail dings.

Notable Upgrades:
- SkyTec Lightweight Starter
- Spin-On Oil Filter
- Oil Quick-Drain
- Electric Pitot Heat
- M20 Air/Oil Separator
- Whelen LED Strobes
- New LED Beacon
- LORD Shimmy Damper
- Fuel belly drain
- Zeftronics Voltage Regulator
- Slick Mags
- MoGas STC
- Prop dynamically balanced
- New Brakes
- New Fuel Sumps
- New Oil Temperature Gauge
- Yokes refinished

Work done the past year:
- New brakes
- New Fuel Sumps
- Alternator gasket replaced
- Tach Shaft Cable seal replaced
- Magnetos retimed
- New Oil Temperature gauge installed
- Yokes removed from aircraft and refinished
- New passenger-side headset jacks installed
- Landing light connectors replaced with scissor clips
- Alternator & Voltage-Regulator Wiring Reorganized and S-Terminal wire replaced

Equipment and Flight Rules:
- VFR & IFR equipped, VFR transponder check due 11/2018. IFR check not current.
- Narco AT165 Digital Transponder with Mode-C | This is a great transponder. Has flight timers, stopwatches, and a VFR quick-button.
- Alcor CHT/EGT gauge
- Dual PTT's | Right-side PTT currently disconnected, I will give buyer PTT switches for them to connect.
- Dual Nav's, 1 VOR, 1 with Glideslope
- Sigtronics SAS-440 Intercom with auto-squelch
- TKM MX12 Radio
- Bendix-King ADF
- Hobbs Meter
- Have all 3 wheel pants, currently not on the plane.

$24,500 | $23,000 for Club Members
Posted By: Mikko Tuomi Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/14/16 02:42 AM
Pretty! Btw, that's a TKM MX12, not MX300 radio smile
Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/14/16 03:19 AM
Thanks Mikko!
Posted By: Jim C Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/14/16 03:55 AM
Alex.....I may be interested...i have a few guys who want to learn to fly and think..(like I do) owning a 150 is far cheaper than renting something at 120-135$/hour!

Where do you keep her?
Posted By: Ed Pataky Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/14/16 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jim_C
Alex.....I may be interested...i have a few guys who want to learn to fly and think..(like I do) owning a 150 is far cheaper than renting something at 120-135$/hour!

Where do you keep her?

Is that West Houston or Sugarland?
Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/14/16 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jim_C

Where do you keep her?

Hey Jim,

Agree with you there! I wish I had bought my 150 before I got my license... I flew 182s for half my training, could have saved at least $2-3k by buying my own plane. Especially if a few people go in on it and co-own, it doesn't get much more affordable.

She's at IWS, West Houston airport.
Posted By: Stacey Morris Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/16/16 03:16 AM
The Bluejay looks really great, Alex. Looking at the pictures makes me a little sad how my poor little 150, Molly, looks. I will have to keep her hidden or I may get excommunicated from the Cessna 150/152 Club.

I think you have The Bluejay priced fairly and I expect soon he/she will have a new home. Have you found a C-172 you like yet?
Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/16/16 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Stacey_Morris
The Bluejay looks really great, Alex. Looking at the pictures makes me a little sad how my poor little 150, Molly, looks. I will have to keep her hidden or I may get excommunicated from the Cessna 150/152 Club.

I think you have The Bluejay priced fairly and I expect soon he/she will have a new home. Have you found a C-172 you like yet?

Thanks for the kind words Stacey! Haha, if Molly has it where it counts, the outside is just an added bonus smile . No need for excommunication!

I have a couple of ones I've been eyeballing, but nothing to jump on yet. I'm also tempted to dig into the 182 market a little bit... Thinking maybe a 60s model 182 would be in my budget and fit my needs. I'm also going to go out and test fly a few Pipers and see how I like them.
Posted By: Venko Damianov Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/16/16 10:44 PM
There are ton of 50's Bonanza's in the 40k range with less then 1000 of TBO. I personalty don't see much value in upgrading from a 150 to 172. It as two seats more but you can rarely expect to use them with full tanks and have any performance or even be legal to take off. Also the high humidity and temps in summer Houston just will reduce the performance. The Bonanza's low price and 160kt cruse at 12GPH seams like the best bet to me...
Posted By: Ed Pataky Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/16/16 11:50 PM
Bonanzas are indeed, cool, but there are lot of other costs end things to go wrong. Take for instance the gear. Each year at annual, you need the retraction test. Then, there's the issue of magnesium flight controls. Also, you have a six-banger under the cowl with the constant-speed prop. Although there's a lot of 'em out there, parts are not cheap on these birds.

On the plus side, they are considerably faster than a 172 and running conservatively, are almost as cheap to operate (fuel, oil) as a 172. Plus, it's a BONANZA!!!!

One of my favorite birds - a V35. Those things are just flat-out cool. You KNOW what you're looking at, and you get to fly an airborne Caddy. grin I love 'em.
Posted By: David McMillan Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/17/16 03:48 AM
Bump for a nice looking plane.

DMc : )
Posted By: Jim Hillabrand Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/17/16 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Ed_Pataky

One of my favorite birds - a V35.

I love 'em.

Mine too and me too. whistle

But I'm a little prejudiced.

Jim

Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/17/16 05:59 PM
Thanks all for the kind words smile .

Poobs gave pretty much my reasons for not thinking of a Bonanza. True, purchase cost is about the same as some of the other birds I'm looking at, but maintenance costs are a fair bit higher. In addition, insurance would eat me alive being a non-IR pilot without much complex time. Probably $3000/yr and a 20hr-dual before solo limit, if I had to guess.

I have a friend trying to convince me to go Mooney as well... we will see. My goal is, after I sell Bluejay, find different types of aircraft that fit my mission and are in my budget, and go rent them. See how I like it, make notes, and then make a decision from there smile.
Posted By: Gene Templet Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/17/16 08:02 PM
Alex, really enjoyed shopping for airplanes. It was a truly amazing and rewarding journey for me. A Cessna 150 was not even on my list but the Aerobat fit my needs perfectly. smile For every plane I considered or that was suggested to me, I have a reason for not purchasing. laugh
Posted By: Ed Pataky Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/17/16 09:17 PM
Alex has it down.

Buying an airplane is like everything else - get the product for the mission you're gonna use it for. Just wanna get in the air? Go with a Warrior or a 150 / 172. Wanna go fast? Mooney, Bonanza, Cirrus. Wanna haul stuff? 206, 182 or Cherokee 6.

I look at it like this - you wouldn't get a Smart car to haul a semi trailer, and you wouldn't take a date to dinner in a garbage truck.

I still like Bonazas, however! You're correct about the insurance, too.

I'm perfectly happy with my 150. Mary Lou doesn't go very far, or go very high, or go very fast, or haul a lot. But for me alone, she's all I need.
Posted By: Stacey Morris Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/18/16 02:41 PM
I'm perfectly happy with my 150. Mary Lou doesn't go very far, or go very high, or go very fast, or haul a lot. But for me alone, she's all I need.

That is where I am also, Poobs. Sometimes I get the urge to think about something different, but then I think some more and realize a Cessna 150 fits my "mission" perfectly.
Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/20/16 02:44 AM
The 150 fits my mission in everything but range and seats. smile I need 1 extra seat, and more range. Speed has never been what I want, sure, it's nice, but I went from flying airplanes going 140-145kts to flying airplanes doing 95-110kts and didn't care. It's why I've been leaning to a 172, with a 182 just for the possibility to get some extra speed should I ever want it.
Posted By: Brian Crane Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/20/16 01:37 PM

Stacey, I feel the same about the Viper. She looks great as long as you stay at least 50 feet away, but get up close and the paint job is hideous, and the interior and seat covers need redone. She's definitely not for show, but I don't look at any of that while I'm flying. She fits my mission - cheap flying, whenever I want and the weather is good, for a lot less than $130/hr.

Alex, this is one beautiful bird. Hopefully someone in the club will pick her up. Best of luck finding a good 172/182 that fits your needs!
Posted By: Bruce_Hoven Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/20/16 10:19 PM

Poobs, sounds like you have fallen in love all over again.

Bruce
Posted By: Henry M Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/21/16 03:33 AM
I moved from a 150G to a 172E. I sometimes wish for something snazzier, but I don't regret my decision.

I fly strictly for fun, mostly not very far from my home base. I love being in the air, so getting somewhere faster would just take away from the flying fun!

Unfortunately, sometimes I just don't have as much time as I'd like for flying. This means that it is hard for me to stay current for instrument flying, never mind truly proficient. That means I don't really need a full glass cockpit. A basic VOR and glideslope receiver lets me get an IPC from time to time.

A complex plane for my mission would just mean a lot of extra maintenance expenses.

Having said all that, I'm actually working on my commercial certificate and for now I could use a complex plane for a few hours. I've been flying a Cardinal RG and like it a lot. I'm getting the ticket just for fun, not to pursue an aviation career, though when I retire in a few years I might enjoy teaching. However, if I'm realistic, a 172 is really the right plane for me to own. A fixed gear 182 would be my second choice.

This weekend I saw a picture of the first plane I ever flew in. It was a late 50's 172! It was a picture of my mother and my uncle, who owned the plane. He took up his little brother's wife and tried to scare her a little bit. He didn't succeed. It was a short time after the flight she found out she was pregnant with me! I was already with her when she flew.
Posted By: Ed Pataky Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/21/16 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Bruce_Hoven

Poobs, sounds like you have fallen in love all over again.

Bruce

Bruce, i've been in love with that bird since day one.

Hey... i'd consider marrying her if she was animate!

She still makes my heart go pitter - patter every time I see her.

smile
Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/21/16 04:26 PM
It's funny the connection we have with our airplanes, we entrust our lives to them, and make so many great memories with them smile .

I've posted the plane on Controller, I have some local interest as well, I think things will pick up after the holidays.
Posted By: Gary Shreve Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/21/16 08:46 PM

...I've been in love with that bird since day one.

You're telling a fib, Poobs. If that were true, you'd never refer to your dearest as "that bird." grin

Maybe that's why you're single.

Oh wait....I am too...

.....never mind
Posted By: Ed Pataky Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 12/21/16 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Gary_Shreve

...I've been in love with that bird since day one.

Maybe that's why you're single.

...you have a point... blush
Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/04/17 03:33 AM
Bumping this smile .
Posted By: Stacey Morris Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/05/17 03:25 AM
Are you getting many nibbles Alex? Hung's 152 sold so fast I was hopeful 150/152's were truthfully getting difficult to find as I have been told by my mechanic.

Good luck again.
Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/05/17 07:15 PM
Are you getting many nibbles Alex? Hung's 152 sold so fast I was hopeful 150/152's were truthfully getting difficult to find as I have been told by my mechanic.

Good luck again.

Yeah, his did sell fast! I've had a lot of interest, but nothing has moved much other than sending over logs and answering questions. Might have a few people coming out to look at the plane this weekend.

A few interested people said that finding nice 150s was getting pretty hard and they tend to get snatched up pretty quick!

Thanks Stacey!
Posted By: Ed Pataky Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/05/17 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Alex_Montgomery

Good luck again.

Yeah, his did sell fast! I've had a lot of interest, but nothing has moved much other than sending over logs and answering questions. Might have a few people coming out to look at the plane this weekend.

A few interested people said that finding nice 150s was getting pretty hard and they tend to get snatched up pretty quick!

Thanks Stacey!

The key is NICE 150's. Thee are a slew of 150's - 152's out there, but the sad past is too many of them are seen as throwaway birds, so to speak. Many are just sitting rotting away.
Posted By: Hung Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/05/17 08:31 PM
Yeah, his did sell fast!

That's due to my "used car salesman" talk, or a low price grin
Posted By: RDPhillips Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/05/17 09:52 PM
Hotel Pappa smoothed talked me into 38H.

I think I will be very grateful if I can ever get back up there to get her!
Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/05/17 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hung
Yeah, his did sell fast!

Haha! Want to come down to Texas and help a fellow out?? grin
Posted By: Hung Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/05/17 10:44 PM

Haha! Want to come down to Texas and help a fellow out?? grin

Well, my buyer had been to Vietnam during the war so he understands my language. I'm not sure your potential buyers do.
Posted By: Mark Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/06/17 02:16 AM
Well, my buyer had been to Vietnam during the war so he understands my language.

Yeah, sure he does. I've been listening to it for 15 years, all I got was Hello, thank you, congratulations, and now Yes dear.
Posted By: Hung Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/06/17 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by Mark
Well, my buyer had been to Vietnam during the war so he understands my language.

Yeah, sure he does. I've been listening to it for 15 years, all I got was Hello, thank you, congratulations, and now Yes dear.

Sounds like it will take you another 15 years before you can understand what she's cooking for dinner. grin
Posted By: Mikko Tuomi Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/06/17 02:48 AM
Banh Mi, or Pho. I could live off those two things for the rest of my life, and never complain.
Posted By: Hung Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/06/17 02:51 AM
I think we should get off Alex's thread.
Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/06/17 03:20 AM
I think we should get off Alex's thread.

That's alright... I think pages 2-3 were people talking about how much they loved their 150s, so only about 4 comments have been about the plane so far.

No harm done, always good to hear how much love people have for their aircraft (and Vietnamese food) grin
Posted By: Brian Crane Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/07/17 03:45 PM

The key is NICE 150's. Thee are a slew of 150's - 152's out there, but the sad past is too many of them are seen as throwaway birds, so to speak. Many are just sitting rotting away.

That's ultimately why I went ahead and bought the Viper. I knew she needed work, but all the nice 150's were either out of my price range, or so far away that getting them home wasn't financially and/or logistically feasible for me. Might take a few years, but Viper will be a nice 150 when I'm done.

I'll keep an eye on the thread. Mind if I print out the details and hang them up on the board at our FBO? I'm sure one of the Lincoln City guys or even one of the CFIs would fly one of the local students down to Houston if they're interested (my CFI used to do it all the time).
Posted By: Alex Montgomery Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/07/17 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Brian_Crane

I'll keep an eye on the thread. Mind if I print out the details and hang them up on the board at our FBO? I'm sure one of the Lincoln City guys or even one of the CFIs would fly one of the local students down to Houston if they're interested (my CFI used to do it all the time).

That would be great, I'd appreciate that Brian! Thanks! smile
Posted By: Ed Pataky Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/08/17 03:01 AM
Sorry about all the typos. Spell check is acting very strange, even with pretty extensive proofing.
Posted By: Brian Crane Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale - 01/09/17 08:29 PM

That would be great, I'd appreciate that Brian! Thanks! smile

You bet. Headed out to the field this evening to drop off the check for this month's hangar rent, will print it out and hang it up.
Feels a little bittersweet to announce that the sale is pending on my airplane. The new buyer is flying down tomorrow to close the sale and fly her to her new home.

She's been a great airplane, I've flown her all over Texas, I've taken her to Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and almost skirted into Florida. I've introduced almost a dozen people to aviation in her, many having their first flight in a small airplane in the comfort of her right seat. I've taken up family in this plane, and done everything from $100 hamburgers to $100 BBQ runs. She has always gotten me to where I'm going in one piece, and has been fun to fly along the way. Though I know I'm going to be moving up to a bigger airplane, N1679Q is the first airplane I've ever owned, and I'll always fondly remember flying her. smile
Alex,

Great. I'm glad it sold in a short time, too. Someone's getting a nice 150 and you've still got more flying to do, as well. :-)

Tim
Congratulations, Alex! I hope the new owner decides to join the Club so Bluejay doesn't get lonely smile.
Feels a little bittersweet to announce that the sale is pending on my airplane. The new buyer is flying down tomorrow to close the sale and fly her to her new home.

She's been a great airplane, I've flown her all over Texas, I've taken her to Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and almost skirted into Florida. I've introduced almost a dozen people to aviation in her, many having their first flight in a small airplane in the comfort of her right seat. I've taken up family in this plane, and done everything from $100 hamburgers to $100 BBQ runs. She has always gotten me to where I'm going in one piece, and has been fun to fly along the way. Though I know I'm going to be moving up to a bigger airplane, N1679Q is the first airplane I've ever owned, and I'll always fondly remember flying her. smile

Congratulations! Keep us posted with what you end up getting. Good luck!
Awesome news, congrats on the quick sale!
Thanks all smile . After the prebuy yesterday, we met this morning and he looked over the airplane, started her up, and was very happy with it. We closed the sale this morning and I bought him a tank of AvGas and he flew away. I suggested to him to join this club and meet all the great people here and all you can learn about 150s.

Thank you all for the kind comments, she's been a great plane and I'm sure she'll be a great plane for her new owner.

And I'm not going anywhere, even though my plane is changing, I'm staying with you fine folks a little while longer! grin
Posted By: Henry M Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale **SOLD** - 01/12/17 09:11 PM
Not sure if you've mentioned it before, but do you have a replacement plane yet?
Originally Posted by Henry_M
Not sure if you've mentioned it before, but do you have a replacement plane yet?

Not yet... I've kept my eye on the market and it's pretty dead at the moment for 172s, I may rent for a few months and wait until spring when it livens back up.
Posted By: Henry M Re: 1972 Cessna 150L For Sale **SOLD** - 01/12/17 10:29 PM
Where are you based? I think you weren't far from me (I'm at KRYW).
© Cessna 150-152 Club forums