Club Homepage
Posted By: Brian Crane 1975/76 150M - Not selling at this time - 02/23/19 06:32 PM
Just putting this out here to get a feel if anyone might be interested. I may be putting it on the market soon.

N63420
1975 Cessna 150M (1976 model year)
SMOH: 1742
TT: Approx: 3745
MX-300 Nav/Com w/Glideslope head (R-443B Receiver included, not installed)
KT-76A Transponder, certified July 2018
Rosen Visors
Vernier Mixture Cable
New Throttle Cable August 2018
Whelen Parmetheus LED Landing Light
Skytec Lightweight Starter
Stratus Power

Needs stripped and repainted.

Thoughts? Price?

Good luck, Brian. I know you are a little antsy about the taildragger and whether or not it may come to live at your house (airport). From what I have seen lately, 150's seem to be selling a little higher than they were not long ago.
Yes both 150's and 172's are going up in price each month it seems. The basic med is making a lot of pilots new owners.
Thanks. I've also noticed the upswing in the market the last couple of years.

I updated the original post to include the Skytec starter and Stratus Power.

If I do list it, it'll be at least a month from now before I'm ready. I'm thinking of starting with a $15k asking price and going from there.
Originally Posted by Brian_Crane
I've also noticed the upswing in the market the last couple of years.

Thanks to the very, very strong economy, record high employment, record low unemployment and the consumer confidence that has erupted since 2016.

This is nothing new. When people feel confident that their jobs are secure and the long term outlook is stable, pay checks are higher and when combined with lower taxes....this was all rather predictable.

It's a great time to sell a plane (and other nonessential items).

Jim

Your projected selling price seems reasonable to me, Brian. There was supposed to be a move by the FAA to increase the LSA weight limits early in 2019 but I haven't seen anything about it lately. That would help sale prices also.
You should wait until the weather turns warmer. I listed a friend’s plane here and other places last winter with very little action. He sold it in early March at a fire sale price against my advice. Once the weather turned I was deluged with interested buyers. He left thousands on the table.
Good to know, thanks. It'll be at least a month before I'm ready, if I do sell it.
I agree! I have been watching prices/sales for years and there is very little action in the winter but activity heats up in the summer. Good luck Brian! grin
Thanks to those who expressed an interest in my plane. At this time I've decided to keep it and continue with restoration and upgrade plans.

For those that have asked about the paint, please see the few attached images. I originally had these linked in my thread over in Projects and Restorations, but Dropbox removed public folders functionality, thereby breaking the links. Additional pictures of stripping the horizontal stabilizer can still be found there.

Attached File
Spinner.JPG  (95 downloads)
Attached File
Commuter_Current.JPG  (118 downloads)
Attached picture Door Stripe Closeup.JPG
Attached picture Upper Cowl.JPG
Wow Brian, I can see why you are interested in a paint job, and more specifically, a paint strip! Crazy things people do...

Back in about 1989 my buddy bought a 1969 Chevy Impala beater, and it was painted flat olive green, with a brush! It just added to the "charm" of that old wreck, but it is simply wrong to do that with an airplane. Yeesh!

Cool that you have decided to fix up your 150 though! Good luck!
Thanks for the pictures, Brian. I was kind of wondering, since our 150 has paint chipped in a few places (and it seems several are painting their's), what was your driver to pony up for a paint job. I can see why you want to paint and it is one more data point I can store away in the cortex for future reference (if I can just recall where I put it!).

Good luck!
Just imagine what Griggs to do.......just imagine.

They even paint some planes yellow.....but don't hold that against them. smirk

Jim
Originally Posted by Eric_Peterson
Back in about 1989 my buddy bought a 1969 Chevy Impala beater, and it was painted flat olive green, with a brush! It just added to the "charm"...

Maybe we were crazy in the 1980s? In 1987, my old roommate, Nick, and I covered his burnt orange, rust bucket Volvo wagon with contact paper. All from the clearance bin.
Originally Posted by Eric_Peterson
Wow Brian, I can see why you are interested in a paint job, and more specifically, a paint strip! Crazy things people do...

It just makes me sick to think about, honestly. See attached - this is what the paint looked like before he "fixed" it...

Attached picture Finishing Left Cabling.JPG
Wow, that guy was just stupid. Sorry. I get wanting to touch up the paint, but really... It looked decent enough. And maybe it's the lighting, but did he change the colour? Looks more like an orange hue before, and now it is clearly red.

Sorry dude, that sucks. I would personally start with cleaning up the spinner, but there isn't anything, realistically, that you can do with the rest of the plane. Brutal. But think how fantastic it will be to have a beauty new paint job that you can design!
It was actually just oxidized red paint, but yes it did look more orange than currently.

If you look at this pic from my previous post, the two chevrons in the upper-right corner are actually still the original paint.
[Linked Image]

Honestly all that needed to be done to it was a little TLC with some polish and some elbow grease to get rid of the oxidation.

I'm going to get it repainted with the original paint scheme.
© Cessna 150-152 Club forums