Club Homepage
Posted By: Lyle Bergman WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/08/19 05:25 PM
Before I go and buy a new one, just thought I'd ask here if anyone happened to have a used rear windshield laying around that I could buy. It can be hazed, pitted, dirty and even ugly, but as long as it isn't cracked or crazed (just basically still intact), I'd be interested. Note that it won't be installed in a flight-worthy aircraft. smile

Thanks,
Lyle
Posted By: Geoff Vincent Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/08/19 08:29 PM
Hi Lyle. Would one from a C150J be similar enough? Just had it removed for replacement. I could ask the shop if they still have it. I don't know if it will fit, though.
Geoff
Posted By: Lyle Bergman Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/08/19 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Vortac180
Hi Lyle. Would one from a C150J be similar enough? Just had it removed for replacement. I could ask the shop if they still have it. I don't know if it will fit, though.
Geoff

Hi Geoff, the parts manual says they're the same between the F and J models, so it should work! If it's still available and isn't cracked, I'm definitely interested! grin
Posted By: Geoff Vincent Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/09/19 12:31 AM
I'll ask if they still have it. I should know tomorrow.
Posted By: Geoff Vincent Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/11/19 02:22 PM
Lyle, I haven’t Ben out there. Been working. But I texted the mechanic. He said the glass is broken. However, I told him to save it. I’ll look at it. Wednesday is my day off this week. I’ll take a look then. I’ll try to get a picture for you then.
Geoff
Posted By: Lyle Bergman Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/11/19 09:26 PM
Thanks for checking, Geoff! Maybe it's only cracked on an edge and is still usable.
Posted By: Geoff Vincent Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/13/19 08:30 PM
Lyle, I'm afraid you may not want the back glass from my plane. I'll attach a picture here. If you still want it, it's yours. Just PM me your address and I'll send it, but it's badly broken.
Geoff

Attached picture IMG_4386.jpg
Posted By: Ronald Twente Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/13/19 09:19 PM
Lyle, I'm afraid you may not want the back glass from my plane. I'll attach a picture here. If you still want it, it's yours. Just PM me your address and I'll send it, but it's badly broken.
Geoff

To say the least!!!

LOL!!!
Posted By: Gary Shreve Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/13/19 11:19 PM
You can drill a bunch of holes, lace the pieces together with safety wire, then cover the seam with silicone. grin

I read it in a book once.
Posted By: Hung Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/14/19 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Gary_Shreve
You can drill a bunch of holes, lace the pieces together with safety wire, then cover the seam with silicone. grin

I think I've seen a picture of it. I was surprised that it was an approved repair method.
Posted By: Lyle Bergman Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/14/19 12:33 AM
Geoff

Oh boy...that's some crack. shocked I don't think I'll be able to use it, unfortunately. Thank you for going to the trouble of checking on it, though!

Lyle
Posted By: Lyle Bergman Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/14/19 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Hung

I think I've seen a picture of it. I was surprised that it was an approved repair method.

Well if that's the case, then I could do that with my current rear window. It has two massive cracks forming a cross, but all the pieces are there. Would have to do something about the massive amount of crazing, though.

Nah. smile

The search continues...
Posted By: Geoff Vincent Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/14/19 03:37 AM

Gary,
When I was a broke college student, I once had the throttle cable break on a lonely highway in my old VW. I found a piece of twine on a fence, tied it to the air valve on the intake and pulled it to rev the engine. Drove that way for a couple hours to the next city.

Now the safety wire trick--I love it! but new glass is better

Did I wish you happy birthday? Happy birthday! I hope you had cake for breakfast, and fun all day.
Geoff
Posted By: Jim Hillabrand Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/14/19 10:27 AM

And some folks here are thinking he's being less than truthful and it's just a Birthday wish gone bad that got blown into the weeds....

Like Superman, Gary always tells the truth and never lies. smirk

Jim

Attached picture FRANKENSTIEN WINDSHIELD 001.jpg
Attached picture FRANKENSTIEN WINDSHIELD 002.jpg
Attached picture FRANKENSTIEN WINDSHIELD 003.jpg
Attached picture FRANKENSTIEN WINDSHIELD 004.jpg
Posted By: Gary Shreve Re: WTB: Rear Windshield for 150F - 03/14/19 01:31 PM
My dad and his belt all but beat that out of me.

I thought it looked funny in the book.....but it really looks odd in a real picture. I guess it would get you home, but... well...just WOW!
© Cessna 150-152 Club forums