Thread Like Summary
Brian Crane, Cary Green, Geoff Vincent, Joe Bryant, Joseph B, Mike Marra, Rick Durden, Ricky Barrette
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Flying and Camping #637524 05/03/2022 11:51 AM
by Graeme Smith
Graeme Smith
Prompted by questions I get asked a lot and I see on here. I have a talk I give about some camping trips and I've pulled some of the slides for here:

I fly with just enough kit to camp anywhere. It helps avoid "get there it is" if you need to just put down for weather. With enough to get by - you will not be tempted to push on to an airport that might have a motel - when a much safer patch of grass is immediately below.

"It would be nice" has no place in a plane with limited carrying capacity. You are going to be flying in summer heat, at higher DA's than you might be used to and at a farther aft CG than you might be used to. Here are my "camping essentials"

Small tent that can withstand a blow. (There sometimes be thunderstorms at Clinton)
Half yoga mat (shoulders to hips)
Lightweight sleep bag (for a pillow - I use my bag of clothes)

[Linked Image]

Bag clothes/toiletries - just enough. I will wash the essentials and dry on glareshield as I go.

Energy bars and an oatmeal granola type mix I have bagged in portions. I carry three with enough calories in each bag for a half day. I reconstitute with either water or any milk I pick up on the way.

[Linked Image]

Small camp stove and mess tin to cook on and.....
Means to make coffee - my one "luxury" A coffee press.
The extinguisher is just in case I start a grass fire while cooking.

[Linked Image]

Your "lucky" C150/2 mug is optional - but as my sister had it made for me.... A regular mug will do too

[Linked Image]

Enough potable water for 24 hours. And some "fresh". Bread / vacuum packed bacon and eggs will keep fine in a tiny cooler for 24 hours

[Linked Image]
Liked Replies
Re: Flying and Camping #637528 May 3rd a 12:00 PM
by Graeme Smith
Graeme Smith
Tie Downs for the plane

[Linked Image]

Finally do a REAL W&B. Try and avoid flying at maximum gross in the heat. Leaving 20% of your usable load on the ground makes for much more comfortable take offs on hot days.

[Linked Image]

And with your CG farther aft than you are used to. Load the plane up and go fly some air work in advance to feel how different it feels. Practice engine out Vg glides - they feel and trim quite differently than "normal" - even in a 150.

[Linked Image]

--

The flashlight, spare batteries, cell charger etc - I've omitted here - because I assume you will carry these anyway in the plane.

Remember - less is more......

And when you get there and make a Bacon and Egg Sandwich on the edge of the taxiway - it is all worthwhile:

[Linked Image]
7 members like this
Re: Flying and Camping #645162 Nov 28th a 12:01 PM
by George Jameson
George Jameson
There are several to choose from. Transportation is provided to/from all of them!

If weight is a problem, you can ship your gear to the Clinton Airport prior to the Fly-In. An address will be provided as we get closer to the Fly-In. Your gear will then be shipped back to your home by the Airport staff. More details will be provided as to how to ship everything back home.
1 member likes this
Re: Flying and Camping #645159 Nov 28th a 06:14 AM
by Mark Smith
Mark Smith
Where's the Hotel again??
1 member likes this
Re: Flying and Camping #645166 Nov 28th a 12:51 PM
by Mark
Mark
Where's the Hotel again??

In other words, why dig in when you can check in.
1 member likes this