Thread Like Summary
Brian Crane, Dan Titus, Ronald Keating, Stacey Morris, Steve Whitmarsh
Original Post (Thread Starter)
1969 150J PROJECT, 150/150, Taildragger, STOL - $10,000 - NorCal - SOLD #641368 08/16/2022 8:21 PM
by Steve Whitmarsh
Steve Whitmarsh
Well, as may have been expected, this project hasn't come to fruition for me.

I've accumulated a lot of parts, but no engine or prop, so I haven't started the 150hp conversion.

I recently bought a restored Champ, so now I know I'll never finish the 150.... wink

[Linked Image from cessna150152.com]

It's a 1969 150J, Texas Taildragger, Horton STOL, Aero-Upgrade 150hp STC, NO ENGINE OR PROP. This will make a fun plane for someone, if it ever gets put together.

Here's the link to the thread I started a couple of years ago when I was fresh and enthusiastic: https://cessna150152.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/616603/1.html

Attached is a flyer and several photos. Please contact me with any questions, or requests for more specific photos.

I hope it's just what you're looking for!
Liked Replies
Re: 1969 150J PROJECT, 150/150, Taildragger, STOL - $10,000 - NorCal - SOLD #645489 Dec 7th a 10:30 PM
by Kendel_McCarley
Kendel_McCarley
The little bird is now sitting on a street near the beach in Venice, California, where it draws constant admirers. I will be heading back to Tucson on Friday, with stops at Corona Aircraft Engines and Aircraft Spruce. The girlfriend and I have been taking advantage of her being randomly chosen for the SAG awards nomination committee this year, which has been so much fun that I've not been in a hurry to get back to the desert. I've been her "plus one" to attend the screenings nearly every night, where the actors, director, and producers hold a Q&A afterwards. Last night was The Whale, which is a very intense movie and I recommend it. Nearly the whole cast was there, but the director and screenwriter were the most interesting. Tonight, I we are going to Top Gun: Maverick. No, Tom Cruise isn't scheduled to be there, but John Hamm and others will hold court afterwards. I'll try not to laugh during the action scenes.
3 members like this
Re: 1969 150J PROJECT, 150/150, Taildragger, STOL - $10,000 - NorCal #641449 Aug 18th a 04:25 PM
by Kendel_McCarley
Kendel_McCarley
I sold my 172 taildragger project earlier this year and have had intense seller's regret. Meanwhile, I've been looking about for a "home" for the extra O-200 and McCauley prop that's been taking up space in my hangar. I will fly that combo for now, until the right O-320-E2D comes along. I wish it had the Del-Air STC instead, as I think that'd let me install the O-360 that's available to me right away. Also wish I hadn't sold the spare prop for the Warrior after I'd sold the airplane, since I'd now need it for the horsepower upgrade here. I've been fighting my hoarding tendencies and selling off spares (much to the enthusiastic support of the girlfriend), then it turns out (over and over) that I should have kept stuff. Alix calls me a "weirdo" (and reminds me that she loves me) as she watches my struggle.

In other news, I hired a paint guy to put new clothes on Tim Noto's 150L, that has been sitting naked for more than ten years. I'm realizing I don't have the time to do everything myself, which has been glaringly obvious for a while. The engine for it is nearly assembled and should be ready by the time it's needed. The Garmin stack is getting upgraded with a 400W replacing the 155XL, so that it can be my primary trainer for a much needed instrument rating.
2 members like this
Re: 1969 150J PROJECT, 150/150, Taildragger, STOL - $10,000 - NorCal #642306 Sep 13th a 01:48 AM
by Kendel_McCarley
Kendel_McCarley
Okay, so I just got back from two days of driving up to Steve and back. The goal was to catalog the bits and work up a punch list for what it'd take to either fly it out or trailer it back to Tucson. What ended up happening is that I decided to not take the airplane. Since it was public that I was going to buy it, I feel I should be public about why I didn't, so that there are no rumors.

First, I think the project is well worth the asking price. My eyes bugged out when Steve handed me a brand new ADSB transmitter that was part of the deal. I've also researched the other included items on the list and know they are good value as well. Steve listed his purchase price for the motor mount and STC's, for instance, but those items have gone up in price significantly since he bought them. There are also quite a few "goodies" that he didn't list on his for-sale sheet.

What caused me to rethink this purchase was not the value. It actually pained me to walk away from this offer. Even if I wasn't to complete the project, there were plenty of parts I could have used on my other 150 (like the ADSB) and then I could have sold what I didn't want for the money I had paid Steve. I believe I would have come out thousands of dollars ahead.

However, I realized that this would have been my dream airplane ten years ago and that it's not my dream now. I've gotten older and have less lifespan left for projects, while I still have plenty of projects in the queue. My view on money has changed as well, where I'm no longer as attracted to a good deal just for the sake of a good deal. I've been through a LOT of airplanes since I bought my first three in 2008. I've owned Cessnas, Pipers, Yaks, a half dozen experimentals, and a few jets. I think it's time to just hold what I've got and not acquire (buy, sell, trade) any more.

I understand where Steve's head is at in wanting to sell this airplane, so that he can just go enjoy his Champ and 182. I think my head is in the same space, where I just want to go enjoy the 150 I've already got, the 310, the Fouga, and the Bearhawk.... which is more than enough.

If anyone else is looking to purchase this from Steve and wants an inspection report, feel free to DM me and we can talk privately.
2 members like this
Re: 1969 150J PROJECT, 150/150, Taildragger, STOL - $10,000 - NorCal #641397 Aug 17th a 03:18 PM
by Kendel_McCarley
Kendel_McCarley
Email sent
1 member likes this