Thread Like Summary
Ben Yiu, Cecilia Aragon, Ed Pataky, Geoff Vincent, Jay Rich, John Trolinger, Jon MacGahan, Kirk, Michael Scheib, Mitchell Ross, Ricky Barrette, Ronald Twente, Stacey Morris, Stuart Bain
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Looking to buy a Cessna 150 for flight training *Bought* #653675 06/26/2023 5:11 PM
by Ben Yiu
Ben Yiu
Hello everyone!

This is Ben from Canada and I am completely new to aviation.

I am looking for a Cessna 150 for my flight training and build my hours. Please let me know if anyone is selling theirs.

Any advice for a new plane owner?

Thank You!
Liked Replies
Re: Looking to buy a Cessna 150 for flight training #655599 Aug 16th a 04:38 PM
by Ben Yiu
Ben Yiu
Hello everyone! I just bought one from Toronto and flew with my instructor from East coast to West coast. It was such a great experience!
5 members like this
Re: Looking to buy a Cessna 150 for flight training #653701 Jun 27th a 12:28 AM
by Ronald Keating
Ronald Keating
Be carful with a fresh annual. Some are done with a fresh pencil. Nothing beats a visual inspection.
4 members like this
Re: Looking to buy a Cessna 150 for flight training #653696 Jun 26th a 10:26 PM
by Ron Stewart
Ron Stewart
Originally Posted by Ben Yiu
Hello Ricky,

Thank you for your advice. But I got a question, do I still need a prebuy inspection if the plane has a fresh annual?

Thanks!
YES !
Especially with a fresh annual.
4 members like this
Re: Looking to buy a Cessna 150 for flight training #653698 Jun 26th a 10:45 PM
by Ricky Barrette
Ricky Barrette
I agree with Ron, mine came with a fresh annual. It also came with cracked seat rails and cracked nut plates in the tail cone both of which had specific Airworthiness Directives for inspection…

Get an independent IA to inspect the airplane, do not trust the last guy
3 members like this
Re: Looking to buy a Cessna 150 for flight training #654785 Jul 25th a 08:04 PM
by Kendel_McCarley
Kendel_McCarley
Originally Posted by Jon MacGahan
If you own then you will be sharing your time between learning to fly and learning to maintain an old airplane. Also, renting often is less costly and certainly less financially risky than owning.

If you rent, then you will be at the mercy of the renting schedule for when you can get your training hours. If the airplane isn't available when you are, then your training will be dragged out. This will cost you both time and money.

If you own, then you not only have the airplane available for your training but also so you can learn its systems. The owner of a rental would probably take a dim view to you removing cowlings or inspection plates just to see how things work. Most auto drivers have no clue how a car actually works, but they also can just pull over on the side of the road to call a tow truck if something breaks. A good pilot also knows about the mechanics and can diagnose issues in flight, so as to increase the chances of a good outcome.

There's a spreadsheet that floated around the forum (and is probably still available) that helps calculate the cost of ownership based on hours flown per year (some costs are fixed per year and others are based on number of hours). It factors in setting aside money for eventual overhauls or other repairs.

Plus, they ain't making any more 150s and high wing Cessnas (150/152, 172, 177, 182, 210, etc) are always going to be in demand. A bunch of 150/152s got exported during the 2008 financial crisis and other attrition has taken a toll on the fleet. Prices have continued to go up and I'm not seeing any reason for them to not continue to go up.
2 members like this
Re: Looking to buy a Cessna 150 for flight training #653693 Jun 26th a 10:12 PM
by Ben Yiu
Ben Yiu
Hello Eric,

I am in Vancouver, BC. There are a lot of flight school here. But I have done some research and I decided to own a plane and get my license!

I hope I would have my license and my plane ready so I can join the Fly-in in Clinton next year!
1 member likes this
Re: Looking to buy a Cessna 150 for flight training #653810 Jun 30th a 09:16 PM
by Alan B
Alan B
Originally Posted by Stacey Morris
What Geoff said, Ben.

We sold our 150 last summer. There were a few things that were on my list to fix, and I told the buyer about all of them via email. He took the email to his mechanic, who said it looked good to him. The new owner has stayed in touch. Most of the things he has had to fix, I had no idea they were an issue. Neither did my mechanic.

Good luck with your search!

Just goes to show that you can find things that need fixing on a 50 year old airplane if you look hard enough.
1 member likes this