Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Airplane Buyer Scam - Feb 2024
Mike Marra #664083 03/10/24 08:18 PM
Member/5000+posts!
Member/5000+posts!
When I bought 63U, the seller insisted I pay cash. Would not let me wire him the funds. Fortunately, we have a good relationship our banker, so he called the branch in the town where the plane was, set it up for me to cash a check at the branch in front of the seller. In 100's. He counted every bill. He was a strange bird.

At least I did not have to carry a bunch of cash around. The teller handed it to me, and I handed it to him. Also, doing it in the bank added a level of safety. And yes, I had the signed bill of sale, etc before I gave him the cash.

We wire funds for our clients every day. We find it a very good way to transfer large sums of monies. We do not like mailing checks. To slow and chance they get lost.

Wish I had known about the escrow service back then. I probably would have used them.

I have learned a lot from this club. Makes me realize how lucky I was in buying 63U. Fortunately, what I didn't know didn't hurt me.

PS: It is hard to get rid of large sums of cash. I never could figure out why the guy wanted cash.

Good wife, good friends & a Cessna 150. Life is good.
Terry Monday
1976 C150M N9463U
Greenville, NC
1 member likes this: Mike Marra
Mike Marra #664085 03/10/24 08:28 PM
R
Member/10,000+ posts!
Member/10,000+ posts!
R
Escrow services are a very good thing for protecting both sides of an aircraft sale.

Kirk #664090 03/11/24 12:55 AM
Member/250+posts
Member/250+posts
Originally Posted by Kirk
It's called "Civil Asset Forfeiture" and it has become very controversial. In general, the government (i.e. - local/state police, FBI) can immediately seize assets from suspected illegal activity (typically drugs). For example, if a person is seen leaving a drug-lord's hideout with a duffel bag full of cash, they can seize the money to help stop the illegal activity. In that regard it has been very successful.

The kicker is this - the person carrying the cash doesn't have to break any laws to have the money seized. Just the suspicion is sufficient. And, once the money is seized, the owner has to prove the money was 'innocent' before getting it back. People have the protection of 'innocent until proven guilty', but property (i.e. - cash) does not.

Because of this, some unscrupulous police have taken to seizing any large quantities of cash found in ordinary traffic stops on the belief that anyone carrying that much cash is up to no good in some way. And, if uncontested, they get to keep the cash, thus providing a great incentive to continue the behavior.

Sounds like piracy to me

Last edited by Ricky Barrette; 03/11/24 12:56 AM.

N21966 - 1973 150L
[Linked Image from visitedstatesmap.com]
Steve VanDeWeert #664094 03/11/24 04:42 AM
Member/100+posts
Member/100+posts
Originally Posted by Steve VanDeWeert
55F is in the AOPA recommended escrow service. We will have to see how it goes. A new experience for me, but the buyer has wired them the funds already.

Update:

The escrow process was very quick and easy in my case. The buyer waived a pre-buy (never saw it in person). The buyer asked if I would ferry it to NC. I said I wasn’t afraid to fly it there, but would prefer someone who ferries professionally did it. Glad I did, the plane arrived by ferry today, the ferry pilot told me the generator light came on during the last leg of the flight. I doubt the buyer would have believed me if that had happened with the seller (me) flying it out. And the buyer is a lawyer, so…

2 members like this: Rick Durden, Ricky Barrette
Mike Marra #664131 03/11/24 09:17 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Mike Marra
Once money is seized, it is VERY HARD to get the USG to give it back.

We had a guy in the Army who was, for some reason, moving across country and instead of electronically switching banks - decided to travel with $26K in cash.

I do not know why but he got pulled over and the cash was seized as the state troopers assumed he was up to no good. The man was NOT arrested and was not charged with any crimes.

It took a lawsuit and 10 months of a hired lawyer to wrest the $$$ back to him. He did get it all back, but no interest and had to eat the lawyer fees per-hour + the massive inconvenience and anxiety of having all his money tied-up. This is shocking to me. Seems like a bit of "over-governance" but that's just me. That being said, I am a fan of our thin-blue-line and appreciate all they do to keep us safe. This was definitely an isolated incident.

Lesson for me: I have the right to carry large amounts of cash, but it comes with a modicum of risk.

There was something like this on 60 Minutes a few years back where a guy had gotten out of the Air Force and was driving back to the West Coast, got pulled over in Kansas right before the Colorado border... and they took his money... What the poor guy had to go through to get it back.

My own story... I went to go get a car and told the seller I was paying cash as he was adamant about no checks. When I showed up at the location, things we looking a little sketchy. I went through the drill of looking it over etc... but when he asked if I had the money, I asked where the nearest Wells Fargo was and he could bring the car and the pink slip and we'll do the transaction there...

Needless to say, he was not happy and I walked..

Last edited by John Schwartz; 03/11/24 09:18 PM.

[Linked Image from visitedstatesmap.com]
Mike Marra #664139 03/11/24 11:09 PM
Member/2500+posts
OP Online Content
Member/2500+posts
Boy, that was pretty smart, John! Good for you!

It's to the point folks are paranoid now...your story about yet ANOTHER veteran having his money taken is very disconcerting.

It's not like we have a huge next egg or pile 'o cash to fall back on!

Kirk's description of the law (see above) is troubling. It creates an incentive to continue doing this and is almost to the point of an extrajudicial effort to create revenue streams in some departments.

I am ALL FOR our 'thin blue line' but think we can and should do better about seizing the savings of the innocent until proven guilty in a court of law unless there are clear and present indications of laws being violated.

1 member likes this: Ed Pataky
Mike Marra #664145 03/12/24 02:01 AM
DA POOBS
Member with 30,000+ posts!!
DA POOBS
Member with 30,000+ posts!!
Originally Posted by Mike Marra
Boy, that was pretty smart, John! Good for you!

It's to the point folks are paranoid now...your story about yet ANOTHER veteran having his money taken is very disconcerting.

It's not like we have a huge next egg or pile 'o cash to fall back on!

Kirk's description of the law (see above) is troubling. It creates an incentive to continue doing this and is almost to the point of an extrajudicial effort to create revenue streams in some departments.

I am ALL FOR our 'thin blue line' but think we can and should do better about seizing the savings of the innocent until proven guilty in a court of law unless there are clear and present indications of laws being violated.

What's this I hear about due process...?

[Linked Image from animatedimages.org] [animatedimages.org] [Linked Image from visitedstatesmap.com]
Imagine a united world.
Join the Popular Front for the Reunification of Gondwanaland.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard