Thread Like Summary
Brian Crane
Original Post (Thread Starter)
150 Wheel Pants #631416 11/17/2021 5:12 AM
by Mark Smith
Mark Smith
Beginning my search. I would like to put wheel pants on my 150. I know, I know, just me, I like the look of wheel pants.
I have a 1975 Cessna 150M serial 15076355
I need both mains and nose. Would like the small door on each to allow access to air valves.
The part numbers for the wheel pants are 0541223-16 and -17 for the mains and 0543079-1 for the nose.
Also looking for the top cover plate for the nose part number 0743625-17.
I have the rest of the hardware needed for install.
Just a note, I took the HD nose gear strut off. Did not like it facing forward, made the cowling to difficult to takeoff and put on and with the nose strut facing aft it shimmied way to much.
Also to much paper work for the install. STC was for, I think, 66 and 67 model year. I would need a field approval for install in the M model and the strut would have to face forward, to which, my cowling did not work.
To turn the strut around, torque link facing aft, was a can of paperwork worms I did not want to open. And it still would shimmy. I gave up.
Any help with yellow parts is greatly appreciated. (LOL)
Liked Replies
Re: 150 Wheel Pants #631446 Nov 17th a 05:36 PM
by Mark Smith
Mark Smith
Brian,
No Shimmy dampener problem. I had it rebuilt. The HD strut has to face forward. When it is, it blocks the lower cowling on my 150 and will not go on.
Well, to say, it takes two people and a lot of bending. I feel like I am going to break something (the cowling).
Not worth the hassle any longer.
Mark
You close to Lafayette? Visiting there in a couple days.
2 members like this
Re: 150 Wheel Pants #631442 Nov 17th a 04:47 PM
by Mark
Mark
Brian, he was referring to the Heavy Duty Nose Strut shimmying when facing aft. The HD Strut is supposed to face forward because of the angle of the strut. The HD has a slight angle, where as the normal strut is straight. It you put the HD Strut on backwards it will shimmy, like the front wheels on a grocery cart.

You can check the salvage yards and eBay, but a lot of them are worn to limits, or cracked.

McFarlane [mcfarlaneaviation.com] has pants with the door, and without

I have looked for used Top Cover Plates and they are scarce, or non-existent.
Hill Aircraft [cessnaparts.com] has new ones in stock, and they offer a discount on most parts to Club members. Give them a call, tell them you're a member and thank them for their support of the Club and Cessna 150-152 Fly-In
1 member likes this
Re: 150 Wheel Pants #631445 Nov 17th a 05:30 PM
by Mark Smith
Mark Smith
Mark
Thought it might come to that. The used ones seem to be all trashed and pricey.
My cart with McFarlane is full of Wheel Pants.
Just need to pull the trigger.
Thanks
1 member likes this