Thread Like Summary
Ken, Kirk, Michael Brennan, Ron Stewart, Stacey Morris
Original Post (Thread Starter)
WTB Audio Panel #633791 01/17/2022 5:42 PM
by Vince W
Vince W
So this "New to Me" Aerobat is turning out to be the project I was expecting. The (most likely original) audio panel in it is basically... inop (old Radio Systems Technology panel). It came with a KMA 24 which I now know is also inop and not worth installing.

So I am looking for a used audio panel which is in decent shape to replace the ancient one which is in there now. What do I really "need"?

2 place intercom, 1 or 2 comms and at least 1 Nav. Marker Beacons would be great too.

Let me know if you have something gathering dust in your hangar!
Liked Replies
Re: WTB Audio Panel #634287 Jan 29th a 01:12 PM
by Ron Stewart
Ron Stewart
If you want to know why avionics shops charge what they do then take your seats out, lay on your back with your head against the rudder pedals with both hands up behind the panel. Spend a couple of hours in that position and you'll think whatever they charge is a bargain.
3 members like this
Re: WTB Audio Panel #634245 Jan 28th a 01:17 PM
by Mark
Mark
Antenna and cables do degrade over time. You might consider replacing them both while adding a second for the new PAR. BTW, I have a 200B and it is great!
1 member likes this
Re: WTB Audio Panel #634255 Jan 28th a 05:16 PM
by Henry M
Henry M
I find installation costs to always be significant. That is why I am not really a fan of using used equipment for new installations. If you're doing a slide-in replacement, then you can have significant savings. However, for a new installation of an audio panel, navigation system or engine analyzer, the installation cost can be close to the cost of the new equipment. Thus, a 50% saving buying a used device is only a 25% saving for the overall installation, and at that point, having the latest equipment can actually save cost in the long run because the equipment is less likely to become obsolete or break from old age.

I think replacing the antenna cables while you have the plane open can be a good idea. I installed an INS429 VOR in an older plane, and was having issues with reception of the VOR signal. The connection at the antenna was corroded and the cable had degraded over time. It wasn't all that expensive to pull a new cable and have a known good connection while the panel was open.
1 member likes this
Re: WTB Audio Panel #634568 Feb 4th a 10:49 PM
by Michael Showah
Michael Showah
Hi,
well the tray is fine and the slit in the bottom is the locking mechanism for the radio.
In the front of the radio there should be a hole for a Allen wrench to turn the locking mechanism screw/ tab that seats the radio in the tray.
Look on the bottom of the radio and you should see a screw and a piece with 2 tabs on it.
One is for putting the radio in and seating it in the connector.
the other when you turn the Allen wrench is to pull the radio out of the connector without damaging the connectors.
If the bottom screw and tab mec. is missing that is your problem...

It must be a very young tec..
1 member likes this