Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Jennefer in Norway
J ChisholmHoibraten #97944 06/11/07 05:12 PM
Member/500+posts
Member/500+posts
Jennefer,
I think that the ferry flight to Sweden should be around 7000 dollars. A Piper PA 28 to Italy is about 11000 dollars.
Ferry pilots, fly new planes.I do not know if you can find one that accept to pilot over the ocean a plane of 30 years.
You can ask to an aircraft dealer to know about it.
More realistic is to ship the plane. You have to dismount and then mount the wings. 4000-5000 dollars? plus shipping. Carl or Gary could give you you more informations.

If it is an adventure....
Your idea is wonderful! I would like to do it in the opposit direction. Never done I think. One other idea is to fly along the 70°N from Russia to Siberia ,Alaska, Canada.
But you need a lot of experience! Sorry,at least hundreds of flight time hours.And not hours around your field! If this is a challenge,if is the your dream, you have to take the PPL, and then you have to go to fly in the countries you will overfly. Iceland, Greenland....If you have time and money enough you will be able to do the necessary experience in three-four years.
Shall be very different to fly around your field in Sweden during the lessons and ... go to Iqaluit! or Faroe islands.
So many thing you have to learn and try.
Have your license ,come here.I shall be glad to fly with you from Roma to the Mediterranean islands.

I- NCAA, unfortunately a certified airplane
The plane was sold to a club. Too heavy bureaucracy. frown
Ghetti Rossella #97963 06/11/07 07:32 PM
Member/100+posts
Member/100+posts
You remember the Austrian pilot who flew his Aerobat across the Atlantic, then proceeded in bad weather from Scottland, to crash on a mountainside in fog, phoned his relatives in Vienna to alarm the Scottish rescue team, who found him?? The pictures of the plane before and after are on the web.
Hans-Georg, LSZG

HG Obrecht #97975 06/11/07 09:17 PM
J
Member/750+posts
Member/750+posts
J
As I recall these stories of C-150 crossings,the right sear removed to install a ferry tank. Then, isn't it necessary to install a radio that requires an antenna that is actually a long wire that hangs in the wind trailing the plane? I never quite understood what that radio is?
Jon

Jon Lindgren #97976 06/11/07 09:49 PM
$
Member/10,000+ posts!
$
Member/10,000+ posts!
It is an HF radio for longer distances. I don't think it is absolutely required, but to give position reports to ATC, it would be nice to not need an airliner to relay the messages.

Jeff Hersom N3740J '67 150G "Gremlin"
Hangar W-6, Helena Regional Airport
Places I have landed Gremlin:
[Linked Image from visitedstatesmap.com][Linked Image]
Gremlin #98013 06/12/07 03:00 AM
Member/750+posts
OP Offline
Member/750+posts
Yea , some of the guy's flying experemental stuff I've read of crossing "Big Water" real'em in and out .

...........I.M.H.O............................

Jennefer , If all I's wanting to do was get the plane to me , as cheap as I could(considering possible damage)I would find me some one experenced in this sorta thing and have it shipped !

NOW........If I's looking for the adventure , I would contract me a willing victim (experenced water cross'r that I trust)Inflict myself on that person for the time it took US to fly the bird home !! whistle

You'd get alot of time to log , an experence to write about , as well as to LEARN from and apply to your future flying . cool

Seems to me that it would'nt or should'nt add that much to the costs of having it ferry'ed , If thats the way you chose to go !

You would'nt have to wait until you had the expertise(time) to do it yourself , Then all you'd have to decide , is whats your best option on all the other questions you've got to answer . crazy

But , you'd have the main component (the plane) in your hands . laugh

Jon Lindgren #98025 06/12/07 05:34 AM
DA POOBS
Member with 30,000+ posts!!
DA POOBS
Originally Posted by Jon_Lindgren
As I recall these stories of C-150 crossings,the right sear removed to install a ferry tank. Then, isn't it necessary to install a radio that requires an antenna that is actually a long wire that hangs in the wind trailing the plane? I never quite understood what that radio is?
Jon

Jon -

That would be an HF (High Frequency) radio.

An HF antenna would be required for long range communications. These HF frequencies are between 3 and 30 MhZ. Owing to the fairly low frequencies utilized, the antenna must be physically fairly long. For example, a quarter wave antenna on 3 MhZ would be about 64 feet long. On 7 MhZ, about 32 feet, and on 30 MhZ about 8.5 feet or so. Be advised that for reliable communication, the frequency utilized must go down as the sun drops below the horizon and the ionosphere thins and rises. Reliable communications over about 1000 to 2000 miles and beyond would be realized in the 7 to 14 MhZ band - 40 to 20 meters. Skip would have to be managed (you don't want to send the signal OVER and past the receiver you need). Frequent frequency adjustments would be needed as you moved away and toward a reciever and the time of day changed, as well as the changes in latitudes. It would also be dependent upon the season. This wire antenna would be attached to a transmitter, and could be reeled in or out with RF (radio frequency) traps in the wire to help keep it tuned, and a weight (called a "fish") to the end of it to keep it straight and prevent kinking.

Power can be fairly low - sometimes as low as 10 watts or so, but in order to overcome any interference from solar activiry, it should ideally be about 100 watts or more. Also, a good ground is ESSENTIAL to ensure adequate radiation.

Higher frequencies - the VHF spectrum and above - are not as susceptable to ionospheric skip as HF, MF, LF and VLF - rather, they are line of sight the higher in frequency you go, although there are a number of atomospheric conditions that can cause a "tunnelling" effect or "ducting". Lower frequencies are more subject to absorbtion.

There are other factors to consider - directionality, radiation pattern changes as the wire rises and/or lowers due to changes in airspeed, frequency changes as the antenna waves in the breeze if there is too much coupling between the master oscillator and antenna (although this is rare but noit unheard of in modern design)... on and on.

In short, there is a fair amount of training that ya have to familiarize yourself with when utilizing HF for long range communications. Time of day, weather.... a number of oddities.

HF is still used, but is being supplanted by satellites. Still, it's reliable, fairly simple, doesn't require much complexity in the way of equipment, and does the job.

[Linked Image from animatedimages.org] [animatedimages.org] [Linked Image from visitedstatesmap.com]
Imagine a united world.
Join the Popular Front for the Reunification of Gondwanaland.
Gremlin #98107 06/12/07 10:32 PM
Member/500+posts
Member/500+posts
Yes, it is not required.
Shanwick radio and then Iceland radio. All the liners have one radio tuned VHF 121.5 and one other tuned VHF 123.45, crossing.
They are stand by on selcal with Gander oceanic till 30°W ,then Shanwick oceanic (HF). Reykjavik oceanic is VHF.

HG Obrecht #98108 06/12/07 10:39 PM
Member/500+posts
Member/500+posts
No, I do not remember. Give me the "coordinate" to find it.
Ciao,Franco

Ghetti Rossella #98114 06/12/07 11:11 PM
DA POOBS
DA POOBS
Originally Posted by Ghetti_Rossella
Yes, it is not required.
Shanwick radio and then Iceland radio. All the liners have one radio tuned VHF 121.5 and one other tuned VHF 123.45, crossing.
They are stand by on selcal with Gander oceanic till 30°W ,then Shanwick oceanic (HF). Reykjavik oceanic is VHF.

EXACTLY!!!!

[Linked Image from animatedimages.org] [animatedimages.org] [Linked Image from visitedstatesmap.com]
Imagine a united world.
Join the Popular Front for the Reunification of Gondwanaland.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard